Our software transforms your organisation into a high velocity, service centric environment through digitalisation, automation and orchestration. The business processes that deliver your services are comprised of decisions and actions, both of which can be automated in Cortex. Classical approaches to automation focus on automating the actions, but typically these only account for 10% of your teams’ time and effort. The other 90%; the analysis, the decisions, and the management currently lock your people into these processes.
This is where Cortex is different.
Your subject matter experts teach Cortex how to intelligently orchestrate successful outcomes of automated processes in an integrated environment. Cortex then continues to collaborate with your experts through powerful exception management to ensure continued alignment with business operations.
The ability to gather intelligence and emulate human reasoning to automate decisions is what distinguishes us from the vast majority of existing automation solutions as it enables end to end automation. This allows organisations to capture and preserve skills and knowledge on an enterprise scale.
The result? Truly self-managing, self-healing automated operations and digitalised services which manage all the exceptions, failures and problems that may occur. This means that your staff are no longer locked into transactional operations so they can focus on driving revenue through innovation, better customer service and improved reputation.
Sound complicated? Don’t worry – our intelligent automation environment requires no coding experience at all; no embedded scripts, or hidden code; no software or integration skills. Just drag and drop, which allows your operations team to create, manage and adapt visual flows directly.